12 February 2016
Sustainable Development: The Université de Sherbrooke is Among the Top 10 in the World
The Université de Sherbrooke continues to stand out in the field of sustainable development: it now ranks ninth internationally out of 407 universities according to the Universitas Indonesia GreenMetric World University Ranking (WUR).
At the national level, UdeS is in first place for the fourth consecutive year.
GreenMetric WUR assesses six performance indicators: Energy and climate change, sustainable transportation, waste management, water management, setting and infrastructure management, and sustainable development education and research.
The Université de Sherbrooke stands out for the quality of its waste management, for which it ranked second in the world. It was also awarded eighth place for energy and climate change.
UdeS has undertaken many initiatives to ensure its campuses are managed responsibly, including:
- Full composting of organic material
- Using compost for horticultural work
- Installing waste management centres on the campuses
- Using compostable tableware
- No longer selling bottled water
- Using 100% recycled paper
- Phasing out equipment that uses a continuous flow of municipal water
- Forbidding outdoor watering
- Developing green spaces and water reservoirs
- Tree planting strategies
- Increasing the number electric vehicles and charging stations on the campuses
- Free access to public transportation
Source : Université de Sherbrooke
Crédit photo : UdeS – Michel Caron
» Sustainable Development: the Université de Sherbrooke Remains a Leader
» Sustainable Development: Université de Sherbrooke Still First in Canada
» Université de Sherbrooke ranks 1st in Canada in sustainable development
Back to the news